Saturday

Interleaving Practice

I have learned that Interleaving Practice is an "official learning technique" from my favorite author - Barbara Oakley and I am glad she took the time and effort to educate the world about it. I would not be surprised, however, to hear from someone else, that they had been doing the same thing for a long time... The reasoning behind it makes absolute sense to me, and is very well described in the video from GoCognitive that you see in this post.
Since I teach a high school Geometry for both - regular (1-year) and a 2-year Common Core sequences, - I have to have a flexible scaffold-able unit for each of the big ideas. A unit, that would allow to teach at different learning rates a) prerequisite material, b) material that needs to be spiraled, and c) the new material. Sounds like a job for Interleaving practitioner!
I have been intentionally using this practice (or so I want to believe) in my instruction for a few years now. This holiday season I, finally, devoted some time to neatly organize my Area and Perimeter Unit.
...My next post will be an overview of the results...